Push Legal Services.

Skilled Worker Visa


The Skilled Worker visa has replaced the Tier 2 (General) work visa. This visa allows qualified applicants to reside in the UK while engaging in an eligible job with an approved sponsor or employer.

 If you need immediate assistance or guidance with your situation, you can reach out to us at 0333 0124 253. We’re available to assist you in person, over the phone, or online.

The Skilled Worker visa has replaced the Tier 2 (General) work visa. This permit allows eligible applicants to stay in the UK to do an eligible job with an approved sponsor or employer.

If you or your close family are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein, and you started living in the UK before 1st January 2021, you can apply for the free EU Settlement Scheme. This means that you would not need to get a visa to work in the UK. Irish citizens do not need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme or a visa.

If you are a skilled worker and you want to enter the UK to do a specialised job, you can seek the help of PLS immigration lawyers. Call us on 0333 0124 253 to speak with our team.


To qualify for a Skilled Worker Visa, you need to be sponsored by a UK-based employer. Besides, you must meet the following eligibility criteria:

– You must be aged 18 or over.

– You need a valid Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) for the job you are going to do.

– Your job is a genuine vacancy.

– Your role is at an appropriate level.

– You will be paid a salary which equals or exceeds the general salary threshold and the “going rate” for your occupation.

– Your sponsor has paid the required Immigration Skills Charge.

– You can demonstrate your English proficiency (at least CEFR Level B1).

– You can financially sustain yourself and your family without relying on public funds.

– You can provide a criminal record certificate.

– You can provide a valid TB certificate (if needed).

– You must fulfill the specific genuineness requirement, therefore you must show you will only undertake your proposed role and will not engage in any additional employment while in the UK.

You will need to provide the following:

– Certificate of Sponsorship reference number.

– Proof of knowledge of English.

– Valid passport.

– Document that shows your job title and annual salary, such as a contract.

– Job’s occupation code.

– A copy of your certificate of sponsorship.

As a Skilled Worker visa applicant, you must also provide the following documents:

– Proof you meet the financial requirements.

– Proof of your relationship with your dependents if they are coming with you.

– Tuberculosis test results, if required.

– Criminal record certificate, if required.

– Valid ATAS certificate if your job involves researching a sensitive subject at PhD level or higher and you need one.


administrative review

Requirement for sponsorship

The employer (sponsor) needs a valid sponsorship license with an A rating.

The sponsor must have paid the Immigration Skills Charge.

The Home Office checks if the job vacancy and employment are genuine, ensuring there’s a real need for the position.

The worker must have a valid Certificate of Sponsorship assigned by the employer for the specific job role they’re being hired for.

Requirement for a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS):

Before applying for a UK visa, the sponsoring UK employer must provide the worker with a valid Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) to ensure they meet sponsorship requirements. This unique reference number is essential for the Skilled Worker visa application and can only be issued by licensed sponsors.

There are two types of CoS: defined and undefined, replacing the previous restricted and unrestricted CoS. Undefined CoS are for those already in the UK switching immigration routes or applying from within the UK or abroad. Defined CoS are for skilled worker visa applicants from outside the UK.

Sponsors must apply for defined CoS, specifying job and salary details. UKVI allocates undefined CoS to sponsors annually, based on factors like workforce size. Unused CoS are removed yearly, and sponsors can apply for more if needed.

To be eligible for a Skilled Worker Visa, you should receive a job offer from a UK employer which must meet all the following requirements:

  1. Under the new Skilled Worker Visa route, your role must be skilled to at least RQF level 3 (roughly equivalent to A-levels).
  2. The minimum salary is at least £25,600 per year.
  3. Before you apply for a Skilled Worker Visa, your prospective employer must have applied for and obtained a sponsor licence from the Home Office. They will also need to provide you with a valid Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) specific to your job offer.
  4. If you have already received a job offer, you must ask your employer for your occupation code. This code identifies the specific occupation you will be employed in.
  5. If the Home Office believes the job is only created so you can apply for the Skilled Worker visa or it is a sham, your application will be refused.

Meeting these criteria ensures that your job offer and sponsorship are genuine and meet the requirements for the Skilled Worker Visa.

Contact Us For More Information

Fill out the form below to receive a confidential initial consultation.

Contact Us For More Informtion

Fill out the form below to receive a confidential initial consultation.

Frequently Asked Questions

As a Skilled Worker visa holder, you can:

  1. Work and study in the UK: You are allowed to work and pursue educational opportunities in the UK.
  2. Bring your family: You can bring your partner and children to the UK if they are eligible for a dependant visa.
  3. Engage in voluntary work or take on additional work: In certain circumstances, you may be allowed to participate in voluntary work or take on additional employment.
  4. Apply to settle in the UK: After 5 years of lawful residence in the country, you have the option to apply for settlement in the UK.

However, there are restrictions:

  1. Change job or employer You cannot change your job or employer unless you submit an updated visa application.
  2. Apply for public funds, benefits, or the State Pension: You are not eligible to apply for public funds, benefits, or the State Pension.


The Skilled Worker Visa grants permission to work only for the employer that originally sponsored your application and in the role specified in the sponsorship.

If you plan to:

  1. Work for a new employer: You need to apply to update your Skilled Worker Visa.
  2. Switch to a job with a different occupation code: You must apply to update your visa.
  3. Move from a job on the Shortage Occupation List to one not on the list: Updating your Skilled Worker Visa is required.

However, if you stay in the same job and it is taken off the Shortage Occupation List, you do not need to update your Skilled Worker Visa.


Yes, it is possible to take on additional or secondary employment under the Skilled Worker Visa, but certain restrictions apply:

  1. Same Employer: You must work for the same employer as your primary job.
  2. Occupation Code: The additional work must be in the same occupation code as your primary job or a closely related one.
  3. No Self-Employment: You cannot engage in self-employment or be a sole trader in the secondary job.

When taking on additional work, it’s crucial to report it to your primary employer and ensure they are aware of the changes. They might need to update your Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) to reflect these modifications. Moreover, you must continue to meet the minimum salary and working hour requirements for your primary job as specified in your CoS, and your secondary job should not interfere with meeting these requirements.


Applying for a Skilled Worker Visa, whether as an individual or as an employer hiring skilled workers, can indeed be a complex process, especially when addressing the authenticity requirements for your business.

The process involves various document submissions and navigating through multiple steps, which can be time-consuming and intricate.

If you need assistance with your Skilled Worker Visa application and have questions about the process or authorization requirements, Push Legal Services (PLS) is available to provide support.

Our team of skilled worker visa lawyers comprises experienced immigration professionals with extensive knowledge of UK immigration law. We have a successful track record of assisting numerous individuals in overcoming immigration challenges to settle in the UK, and we are committed to providing the same level of support to you.

Whether you seek expert guidance on demonstrating your financial status, ensuring your health insurance meets the criteria, or need clarification on the differences between the sponsor licence and Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS), we can assist you. We can also help you assemble the necessary supporting documents and provide guidance if your UK sponsor licence application is rejected.

For comprehensive information about the Skilled Worker Visa for hiring overseas skilled workers, including eligibility criteria, application procedures, and expert advice tailored to your situation, please contact us today at 0333 012 4253 or reach out to us online.