Push Legal Services.

UK spouse visas are a great way to stay in the country with your partner of choice. They allow you the opportunity to build up a career, make connections, and establish a life for yourself.

However, a spouse visa isn’t permanent. At some point, you’ll need to see if you can extend your visa for another 30 months or risk losing your visa entirely.

Here’s everything you need to know about the requirements for extending a spouse visa and how to get started.

What Are UK Spouse Visas?

First of all, you need a UK spouse visa in order to get an extension. A UK spouse visa allows a married partner of a UK citizen to immigrate into the country. After the visa has been granted, the individual has the right to work or study in the UK as long as it applies.

For example, an individual on a student visa would apply for a UK spouse visa if they married a British national during their stay. The same goes for someone on another type of temporary visa, as long as they’ve been living together for at least two years.

Children under 18 years of age can enter the UK as dependents, but an application must be made at the same time as the spouse visa application.

Requirements for Extending a Spouse Visa

The main requirements for extending a spouse visa are basically the same as the initial requirements.

Your partner must still be married to you. Both people must still live together and have suitable accommodation. It’s also required that they speak English.

After they have spent a total of five years in the UK, they are then eligible for indefinite leave to remain.

You may wonder, “Can I extend my spouse visa if my situation has changed?” If your relationship ends, then you must notify the UKBA. They will make the decision whether to cancel your former partner’s visa or if they can stay on another basis.

Documents for Spouse Visa in the UK

Spouses will need access to some important records for extending a spouse Visa in the UK. The required documents for a visa extension include everything you sent the first time around.

For example, you must prove that you’re in a civil partnership or marriage recognized in the UK. There must also be some kind of proof that you’ve been living together in a relationship for at least two years beforehand. This can take the form of mail or something similar.

Some kind of proof of your knowledge of the English language can also help your application.

Get Help With Your Extension

Navigating the UK visa system can be a hassle, especially with all the different documents required. It’s okay to get help from someone experienced at applying for UK spouse visas and other similar visas.

Push Legal Services are award-winning worldwide experts in immigration. We provide UK visa and immigration services to clients worldwide. Contact us to learn more about how we can help you with your marriage and relationship visas.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *